Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Edumacation



I think I hurt my 17 year old son's feelings the other day. Often, when I pick up my boys from school, my 17 year old will excitely share his progress in his weights class...yes, lifting weights. Well, of course, I enjoy encouraging him and being happy for his progress. However, if he would put forth the same, or close to the same, effort with his academic courses, could he make a little better progress in those areas?

Ok, ok...I'm being mom. Kids have to learn that life itself is not going to be easy. In fact, it gets harder and harder with each passing generation. School is an excellent place to learn to push oneself and to develop coping strategies that can be carried throughout their lives.

As my mom and grandma mema would tell us, "You may not understand what I'm telling now, but you will understand when you get older." How many times have I recalled those words of my elders since I've been grown and raising my own children.

Of my four children, those words have returned to me via my two oldest ones, my daughter age 21 and my oldest son age 19. I must admit, it is a relief to hear it! Means they were actually listening all those years of repeating myself over and over again! I love it.....Must be doing something right :).

Thanks Mama and Mema <3

No comments: