Friday, January 15, 2010

Some Bad News

Today, I received some disturbing news this afternoon, just a few hours ago.

Apparently, my great cousin, who babysat me when I was younger, had a fairly significant stroke while riding on the trolley. He had forgotten his cell phone that was at home on the charger. He figured he would be ok without it for a few days. He was on his way to a mini vacation.

He had the stroke on the trolley and was taken to the hospital for a few days. He just arrived home late yesterday evening. His left side is weak and he has a cane. He is due to begin physical therapy very soon and to have surgery in a few weeks to remove the built up plaque in the artery leading to his brain. Apparently, the artery was blocked enough to cause a delay of blood to his brain, thus causing the stroke.

I'm close to only a few family members and he is one of them. I plan to call him daily and to be there during the surgery. He lives in San Diego, an hour away from me. Needless to say, I won't be comfortable until he recovers. He is an older cousin, in his mid sixties, about 64 years old. I don't want to think about the other possibility. However, at his age, it is quite possible :(. I'm quite concerned at this point.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my mom who passed of cancer on Dec 14th of 1999. He battled it for 12 or 13 years, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, positive thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

lori vliegen said...

i'm sorry to hear this news about your cousin. it's too bad that he lives so far away.....i know that you'd probably feel better if you could go visit him every day. but he'll feel your love through your daily phone calls, that's for sure! i'll be keeping all of you in my prayers..... :))

Polly said...

Thinking of you Pres, I hope your cousin makes a full recovery.